Friday, March 14, 2008

Temptation & Easter

I've given up chocolate for lent again this year (as I have done for many years in the past), and my husband is well aware of this. I have in NO WAY made his life miserable - in fact, he even forgets that I've given it up. I suppose this is good, but it's also BAD!

Yesterday, he had to pick up just a few groceries and came home with some chocolate chip cookies. Yes, I drooled and looked longingly at them, but then I gently reminded myself that the reason I give up chocolate every year is for God - He has done SO MUCH for me, this is the least I can do for Him. Every time I think of giving in to temptation and eating chocolate, I think of all God does, has done, and will do for me.

The nut-cracker (don't know where that come from...) came this evening when Perry came home with just a few other little things he needed to make pizza... and a BOSTON CREAM PIE!


Now, talk about temptation! He did make me try one little bite sans chocolate (the chocolate is only on top) but I completely restrained myself from getting a piece for myself.

Oh, one other piece of temptation - every year for Valentine's Day, my Mom makes Heart Cake - red velvet cake in the shape of a heart! It's almost as beautiful as it is yummy! She made it just a bit later this year (it was out at their house this past weekend) but it was pretty easy to avoid eating it. Though, they did try to find a loophole for me, God bless 'em! Michael says, "Well, technically, there's not really any
chocolate in it... just cocoa." Haha! Nice try, Michael! But cocoa IS chocolate!

Oh, sweet temptation!

I do have a lot to take solace in the fact that this is THE earliest Easter I (or almost anyone alive) have ev
er seen or ever will see. My sis-by-choice (K~ Love ya babe!) sent me an e-mail explaining when Easter occurs... This dating of Easter is based on the lunar calendar that Hebrew people used to identify Passover, which is why it moves around our Roman calendar.

I
t's always on the first Sunday after the 1st full moon after the Spring Equinox (which is on March 20th). The earliest this could possibly occur is only a day earlier - March 22nd... the last time this occurred was in 1818... The next time it will happen is in 2285.

The next time Easter will occur on March 23rd will be in 2228... The last time it did occur was in 1913 - so, only if you're 95 or older would you have been around for this. So, no one alive today has ever - or will ever- see it any earlier than this year.


**Thanks again for passing this on to me, K~!**

1 comment:

Kendra said...

Haha ~ I'm reading this and thinking "Hey, I've also heard that. Wow"
Then I come to the end of the post where you say "Thanks K" and I realize that we have talked about this previously. :)
Gave me a good laugh....
Love ya, K~