Wednesday, September 23, 2009

SYATP

Today in schoolyards around the US - and in other countries as well - children and young adults have the opportunity to participate in See You At The Pole (SYATP). SYATP is an annual event -- the morning of 4th Wednesday in September -- for Christian students to gather in prayer around the flagpole at their school...

I remember participating in SYATP when I was in high school, though that was between 10 and 15 years ago! I was not one for getting up early... I'm still not, to be quite honest. But See You At The Pole is something much more important that a few extra minutes of sleep...

Back when I was in high school, I was a relatively good kid. I never got detention; my grades were almost always reasonable; I was quite involved both athletically & academically; and I still went to church with my parents. My parents really didn't have to worry what I was "up to". We lived out in the country, and it was almost impossible for me to get into trouble out there, and I didn't dare ever sneak out.

SYATP was definitely for me... But it was also for EVERYONE! It didn't matter if you went to church 3 times a week or 3 times a year. SYATP drew in students from many different crowds & cliques. Our school was small -- not even 400 students; but we still had many participants for SYATP.

Today, See You At The Pole has just exploded! I keep hearing on KLOVE (my absolutely favorite Christian Radio Station) how many hundreds of millions of students & teachers from around the world will be participating. People were calling in and sharing how SYATP was such an important step in their walk towards Christianity.

I'll be praying for all participants of SYATP... and especially for those not attending the event.

No comments: