Thursday, April 10, 2008

Livia's Quilts

My sweet little daughter has been SO blessed with so many people who love her - and some quite talented to boot!!

My sweet Gramma Pat & my wonderful Aunt Dana both made quilts especially for HER! Just a few days ago I took some shots of the special place we have for them in her room...

As you can see, they're right above her changing table in the corner.

They look just beautiful, don't they!

My Gramma Pat's quilt is the one with the butterflies & fun colors (on top), and my Aunt Dana's is the one that looks like it's woven with pink, purple, blue, yellow, & green - all the perfect colors for a little baby! So much work went into both of these beautiful quilts... I can't even imagine! All the love, time, & energy - Livie is a very loved little girl.

I know my Aunt Melanie also helped out a bit with my Gramma Pat's quilt... I think she provided some of the cutout pieces - oh, I feel awful that I can't remember exactly what she did for it! I was just over at my Gramma's on Friday & she was showing me a quilt that was almost done for her niece, Jennifer who just had a baby not too long ago - and Aunt Melanie helped with that one as well. I really hope that someday I'll have something special like that to experience with my little girl... Something we'll be able to enjoy & share together for as long as we both shall live.

One more shot of the quilts & their special place in Liv's room...

This quilt hanger/shelf is where I keep just a few of Liv's things that are so precious to me. Can you see the pink little lamb just to the left of the books stacked up? Livia's Auntie Kee-Kee gave that to her on the Christmas before she was born! It even plays Jesus Loves the Little Children.

Someday I hope that I can get more quilt hangers for our house - I'm so blessed to have MANY beautiful quilts from people who love us!

As I write this, tears have begun to spring into my eyes, though... For I will always think of my Granny when I think of quilts. I can't ever remember a time that I was over at their house and Granny wasn't working on quilts & other sewing projects. Always for others, never for herself. She was the sweetest soul ever to grace our earth. Her kindness & generosity rivaled Mother Teresa; her love & caring were matched only by my own Mom... which makes sense, since my Granny was her Mother.

I wish that my Mom's parents were alive to see Livie grow. My Granny would have gotten such a kick out of her! And she has my Pa's eyes! She & Pa would have shared fruit and ice cream together, and Granny would have taught her to sew & make little pillows... Her Great-Pa would have showed & told her all about the trees, flowers, plants, & animals; Livia's Great-Granny would have taught her all about her heritage - where we came from, our amazing stories, and our complete family tree.

These are all things they did with me when I was a little girl. And though a piece of me selfishly wants them back here on earth to do those same things with Livia, I know in my heart of hearts that they are in a better place, watching down on us - I hope they're proud of me... Most of all, I pray that someday I'll see them again!

Something I just said to my Mom this past weekend, and I truly believe this: I wonder if Pa & Granny met Livie in Heaven before God sent her to us. Sometimes I wonder what Heaven might be like... Is if possible to even fathom? Perry says that he likes to think that Heaven is so wonderful that it's impossible to even imagine. I pray that someday we'll all find out.

When we all get to Heaven,
What a day of rejoicing that will be!
When we all see Jesus,
We’ll sing and shout the victory!

2 comments:

Elise said...

Hi Amanda

Thank you for your beautiful and kind comments you left on my blog. You are so sweet and thoughtful.

Those quilts are so different, yet both are beautiful. What precious gifts to receive. I love the fact that Livia's Grandma and Aunt made them especially for her. Handmade gifts from family and friends are priceless and quilts are so special because of all the love and hard work that goes into making them.

I get teary too when I think about my mum's mum, my Nonna. She passed away eight years ago. My sister and I had such a special bond with her. I do wish that she could have seen Savanna, as I know she would have been the apple of her eye. I love that my Nonna made so many doilees and I have a collection of them. I have put a couple of her beautiful creations in Savanna's room. I miss my Nonna, but believe she is looking down from Heaven and I hope that she is as proud as punch.

Joy said...

This made me cry! Great post!