Friday, October 30, 2009

Livia's First Prayer

All on her own, that is! We say her bedtime prayer with her every single night, and she knows it by heart ("Now I lay me down to sleep, Pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I die before I wake, I Pray the Lord my soul to take. Amen!") But yesterday, something remarkable happened...

It had been raining almost all day... Dreary, cloudy, gloomy... But for just a few very brief moments, the clouds broke just enough for a little miracle.

We were on the way back from Day Care, and we saw the most beautiful rainbow in the sky. Livia absolutely loved it! But all too soon, the sun was back behind the clouds. And our rainbow faded into a beautiful memory.

Livia said, "Mommy, please wanna see da rainbow again?"

I said, "Livia, I can't bring back the rainbow. I'm sorry, baby..."

"Why not, Mommy?"

"Well, becaue God is the only one who can bring the rainbow back, because He made the rainbow. You'll have to ask God if you want to see the rainbow again."

So Livia said:  "Dear, God... Please wanna see da rainbow again? AMEN!"

I knew in my heart-of-hearts that the rainbow wouldn't come back... There wasn't a chance of the clouds breaking. She even said her little prayer 2 more times. I wondered what my little girl would do after she realized that her very first prayer wouldn't be answered...

A few minutes later, my answer came. Livia said, "Mommy, God maked da rainbow! Didn't He?"

I smiled the biggest smile ever and said, "Yes, Livia! He did make the rainbow! (then, still smiling, and saying almost more to myself) God is SO good, isn't He?"

"Yes, Mommy -- God's SO good!"

No comments: